Cumming on monolinguals (fwd)

Susanna Cumming cumming at HUMANITAS.UCSB.EDU
Fri Mar 8 02:54:33 UTC 1996

imply that there isn't any fuzziness! Not only on the question of what it
means to be multilingual as opposed to multidialectal, but also on the
question of how competent in another language one has to be to be really
multilingual.

Nonetheless neither of these points weakens the argument about the rarity
or nonexsistence of "pure" varieties, since we know that dialects in
contact influence each other (as Trudgill among others has convincingly
demonstrated), and that you don't need true multilingualism for language
contact to result in language change (as Thomason & Kaufman among others
have convincingly demonstrated).

Tom's original point had to do with the elicitation language influencing
the grammar of elicited sentences. I'm sure that this is a very real
phenomenon; I've seen grammars of Indonesian languages where the word
order of all the sentence examples matched the word order of the eliciting
language (Indonesian), but was different from the vast majority of
sentences in the accompanying texts. I agree that this particular problem
can be minimized by focusing on natural discourse (preferably recorded by
a community member with the linguist absent) as a data source. But this of
course does not eliminate the more general issue of language and dialect
contact.