three final replies

Gregory Ward ward at PG-13.LING.NWU.EDU
Wed Jan 15 18:44:36 UTC 1997

david pesetsky writes:

> I have been in countless discussions about whether some phenomenon is
> properly attributable to a discourse factor, to a property of
> sentence-internal syntax, or some mixture of these.  On such matters,
> people's opinions should, can, and do change in response to reasoned
> discussion and argument.  That's what I meant.

but, alas, they often don't. case in point: in a recent language paper
(vol 71:722-42), betty birner and i present evidence for a phenomenon
being motivated by discourse rather than by 'sentence-internal syntax'.
the phenomenon in question is the so-called definiteness effect in
postverbal position in english existential there-sentences. however, one
still sees many references to such an effect (without discussion or
justification) in the formal syntax literature. now it is of course
possible that one could come up with a strictly syntactic account of the
(indisputable) occurrence of definite postverbal NPs in this
construction (although i doubt it :-) ), but until that time,
unqualified references to a syntactically-motivated 'definiteness
effect' should simply disappear. but that hasn't happened. in fact, the
discourse accounts (and there are several) often aren't even cited (not
even in a dismissive "but cf." kind of way).  this is the state of
affairs that is so frustrating to those of us, inter alia, who believe
in the existence of both discourse and syntax, and who try to listen to
what practitioners of both both have to say.

gregory
--

Gregory Ward
Department of Linguistics