FUNKNET: Implicationals in Adverbials?

David Gohre dgohre at INDIANA.EDU
Tue Dec 8 07:58:12 UTC 1998

Hello Funknet.  I'd like to ask if there's any sort of typological
hierarchy for adverbials, much like there is for phonology?  Analogous to:
A language has unvoiced stops if it has voiced stops, are there
implications for Adverbials?

Also, on the topic of adverbials, I know that Hungarian is one example of
a language that actually can assign accusative case to a seeming
adverbial, barring the existence an object NP, for example the following
gloss could occur in Hungarian.

John worked two hours-ACC

Is this common, or another realization of an implicational WRT adverbials?
It seems rather reasonable from an analysis of prototypical
V-Transitivity, but what about adverbials?

Thanks, Funknetters.

Dave