Left-handed male linguists

Danielle Cyr dcyr at YORKU.CA
Tue Jan 6 19:17:47 UTC 1998

In the line of intelligence and aptitude ...

As an undergraduate student in linguistics, my best classmate was a leff-
handed young guy  and he was really brilliant.  At the doctorate level, in
linguistics as well, my advisor was also a left-handed male and also very
brilliant.   Every year, from my first teaching position in linguistics in
1987 to the present day, I've observed the following regularities:

-  out of 100 students in linguistics, hardly 10% are males and 30% of
these male students are left-handed and, most of the time, among my best
students.  This year for instance I have 110 students, out of which 7
males, out of which 3 left handed, all outstanding. Among the 103 females,
no left handed, but certainly a few outstanding right handed.

I'm interested to hear if any of you have noticed the same correlations
among their students?  And among funknetters, how many left handed male
linguists compared to left handed female linguists.
I'm mylself a right handed female.

Am I correct that in the general population 10% male/female are left
handed?  Is there existing literature on left/right handedness according to
different domains of professional specialization?

Danielle Cyr
York University
Toronto