Avanti la "sinistra" festa

Danielle Cyr dcyr at YORKU.CA
Thu Jan 8 16:33:53 UTC 1998

Dear Funknetters,

Thanks for your numerous, generous, serious, righteous, "ambidextreous","
lefteous", spontaneous and  hilarious answers on "left-handed male
linguists".  Altogether, from an epistemological perspective,  it wasat the
same time riotously funny and  enlightening!

The reaction shows that this was indeed an interesting question. Many of us
have been tickeld by it on the past run obviously. But none of us really
wanted to spend time and/or money in thourough investigation.  Probably
because the answeris too costly given the question itself ...  Last year a
guy wrote a book called "The Death of Science" or something like that,
where he claims that science is about to die because so far, we've answered
all the questions we could afford to answer and now we're caugh with only
the expensive questions, i.e.  those we will never be able to afford
answering.  Eeeeh!

If this makes you nervous, you may want to gomfort the little knot inside
your stomach by reading "L'ile des gauchers"  ("The Lefties' Island" if
there is a translation)  by Alexandre Jardin (Ed. Gallimard, 1995 I think).
This is about a British scientist whose wife if a lefty.  He feels he
never manage to love her appropriatly or enough, so he decides to move his
whole family to this south Pacific island for lefties only.  Since on the
lefties' island people do things absolutely "the other way around", the
move turns into a series of hilarious and fascinating philosophical and
matrimonial adventures.

Danielle Cyr
Right-handed, with a slight ambidextrous tendency and a scientifically
hyphenating sense of humour