Prague School influence: summary

George Lakoff lakoff at COGSCI.BERKELEY.EDU
Thu Feb 11 09:02:26 UTC 1999

Dear Fritz,

I'm delighted to see you looking at the influence of the Prague School. Let
me add a bit to what you have.

First a correction:

To my knowledge, Halliday had no influence at all on the introduction of
discussions of topicality into generative semantics. In my recollection, we
starting discussing topicality in 1965-66, under the influence of Dwight
Boliger
(who was my Harvard colleague and audited the course Haj and I gave there
and at MIT in fall 1966) and Susumu Kuno, who ran the project Haj and I
worked on and was talking with us about topicality from the perspective of
the Japanese syntax,  where wa-constructions indicate topicality and are
one of the most prominent syntactic features of the language. McCawley, of
course, was also thinking about wa-constructions in Japanese. I never met
Halliday till 1968, when he came to Cambridge and, as I recall, talked
about other issues.

Incidentally, the person who puched Prague School ideas on information flow
the most here at Berkeley during the 70's was Wally Chafe, who of course
was a major force behind the formation of the functionalist school first
here and later at Santa Barbara. His influence here has been persistent.

About features: I believe they came into generative grammar through the
influence of Roman Jakobson. I studied with Jakoboson in 1961, while I was
taking Halle's introductory course. Morris was using the Jakobson, Fant and
Halle text to provide phonetic motivation for features in phonology. During
1962 while I was starting grad school at Indiana, I read Lees' MIT thesis
(he was Noam's first PhD student) and the early Stockwell-Schacter papers
from UCLA, both of which used really ugly subcategorization rules with no
features. In the spring of 1963, I wrote a paper for Fred Householder at
Indiana suggesting the introduction of features into transformational
grammar, as a way of improving on the work of Lees and Stockwell-Schacter.
When I went to Cambridge on spring break I showed it to Noam, who showed no
particular interest, and said that Hugh Mathews had written a paper in 1958
suggesting the use of features in syntax while he was working on Yngve's
mechanical translation project.I never found that paper. I continued during
my graduate work to think and write using features. My first paper on
generative semantics in the summer of 1963 used them. When Postal came out
to Indiana in the summer of 1964 to teach at the Linguistic Institute, he
was using features as well and said that Chomsky had adopted them. And of
course, the 1964 paper on semantics in genrative grammar by Katz and Fodor
used them.

About dependency grammar:  My introduction to dependency grammar came from
the writings of David Hayes and Jane Robinson in computational linguistics,
which
I read as a grad student at Indiana around 63 or 64. As I recall, the
Kuno-Oettinger computational linguistics project at Harvard around 1965
used dependency representations (but my memory is hazy). I assumed they
came from the Hayes tradition. Bill Woods worked on that project. When I
moved to Michigan I began playing around with dependency representations
(in unpublished notes) trying to see if they could replace phrase
structures.  Woods came out with his ATN grammars in the early 70's. When I
read his work, I went back to my earlier notes and realized that phrase
structures and transformations could indeed be eliminated using gramamtical
relations formalized as dependecy structures. Henry Thompson and I made
such a proposal in our 1975 BLS paper on Cognitive Grammar. These ideas
were carried over in my 1977 CLS paper "Linguistic Gestalts" which was a
precursor to my early work with Fillmore moving toward construction
grammars. Those dependency grammar ideas have now come to prominence again
in the current development of the Neural Theory of Grammar here at
Berkeley. I don't know where Hayes got his dependency ideas from, but I
would not be surprised if Tesniere were the source.

Hope the fills out the picture a bit.

George