automatized or neurocognitively dedicated?

Tom Givon tgivon at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Sat Jul 31 00:10:31 UTC 1999

I think Joyce is misinterpreting me. All I said is that there are two
separate issues. And that they are distinct. One is about evolution, and
Liz has certainly expressed her position about this. If I elected not to
touch upon it at this point, it is not because I subscribe to Liz's
(what seems to me...) rather extreme position (in essence, that language
is too recent to have any genetic consequences; while memory & attention
are old enough & have genetic consequences).

The issue I did touch upon exists regardless of how you resolve the
evolutionary/genetic issue. Whether the underlying mechanisms are
language-specific or not, "emergence" during lifetime skilled learning
either does or doesn't have neuro-cognitive consequences (the creation
of automated structured during skill acquisition). My bias on this is
obviously strong, as I have stated. I would like to find empirical means
of resolving this. And I am still waiting either Brian or Paul to
address the SECOND issue.   TG