flip-flop predicates

David Tuggy david_tuggy at SIL.ORG
Tue Apr 25 11:56:49 UTC 2000

     Bert.Peeters at utas.edu.anu writes:
In my own usage of Dutch (Flemish, the Belgian variety), "wat mankeer je" is mos
tly
used not to enquire about a person's ailments, but about what (s)he appears to b
missing. For ailments, I'd rather say "wat mankeert er" (and I would translate i
as
"what is it that ails"). Even so, the problem is the same verb would never be us
ed
in the answer, and I think Leon Stassen's usage wouldn't differ from mine in thi
respect. Therefore, oblique marking on the ailment is unverifiable and it's not
complete flip-flop.

Bert

--

Dr Bert Peeters