English vs. Spanish vs. Italian pronouns

Maria Wolters wolters at IKP.UNI-BONN.DE
Tue Feb 29 17:19:15 UTC 2000

Dear list,

I am looking for contrastive functional
studies of the Spanish and Italian pronoun
system as compared to English stressed
vs. unstressed pronouns.

I have a set of discourses that were
previously used in a production experiment
conducted by David Beaver and myself,
and I'm wondering how those items
would fare if they were to be translated into
Spanish or Italian, which pronouns speakers
would use (if any).

In order to be able to interpret the results from
our informants from a functional perspective,
I would like to know about relevant literature
from the field. (Since there is no particularly
strong functionalist community at my university,
I need to resort to the Net).

I will post a summary of responses to the list.

Thank you very much in advance for your help,

Maria Wolters
(wolters at ikp.uni-bonn.de)

(P.S.: In case anybody is wondering about the background of this study:
I'm interested in prosodic correlates of givenness, more
specifically discourse referent information status.
Hence the interest in those odd animals, the "stressed pronouns" ...)