Assumptions about Communication/Cool Hand Luke

Steve Long Salinas17 at AOL.COM
Mon Feb 26 02:08:20 UTC 2001

In a message dated 2/24/2001 11:34:19 PM, gvk at CIACCESS.COM writes:
<< In effect we can say that the Boss Man was successful in the transmision
of his
message, and Luke was successful in receiving it.  But overal
communication-which
also includes intention-failed because Luke refused to accept its validity. >>

Going back to the definition of communication and the suggested element of
"intended effect":

The Boss's "failure to communicate" could be seen as the failure of the
communication to have the intended effect.

The Boss was not after simple common understanding - we know that he
succeeded at that.  However what he actually wanted was for Luke not to
attempt an escape.  But Luke kept on attempting to escape.  The Boss's
"communications" failed - did not achieve the actual effect he intended.

Regards,
Steve Long