Important Information about changes to the Funknet interface

Funknet List Admin funkadmn at ruf.rice.edu
Mon Oct 13 23:34:15 UTC 2003

Dear Funknet Subscribers,

Rice University has recently upgraded to a new system for managing e-mail
distribution lists.  As of today, L-Soft Listserv has been decommissioned,
and replaced by the Mailman interface.  Funknet, and all other
distribution lists hosted at Rice, are now managed via Mailman.

You may have already noticed that the Funknet messages distributed today
contain the text [FUNKNET] at the beginning of the 'subject' line, and
that the list address has changed slightly.  The address to send mail to
the list is now funknet at mailman.rice.edu  However, all mail sent to the
old address will continue to be forwarded to the list too.

One of the advantages of Mailman is that subscribers can now interact with
the list through a user-friendly web interface, rather than by sending
e-mail commands to the listserv.  The URL for all things Funknet-related
is:
Please bookmark this page!  On this page you can subscribe and unsubscribe
from the list, view several years of archived Funknet postings, and make
changes to your subscription options such as receiving mail in a daily
digest form rather than individual postings.

If you don't like web interfaces, there still is an email-based interface
available to Funknet subscribers.  But be aware that the commands are
different from the way things used to work in Listserv.  To get a list of
commands for interacting with Mailman, send an e-mail with the single word
'help' in the subject line or message body to
funknet-request at mailman.rice.edu

Over the next several days, we will be updating links to the new Funknet
information page.  Please let me know if you come across outdated links to
Funknet so we can fix them.

As always, if you have a question about the list, or trouble with Mailman
or your subscription options, you can contact a human (but don't ask me to
prove that I really am one!) at:
funkadmn at ruf.rice.edu

--Robert Englebretson, Funknet List Administration