Yesterday's New York Times...

R. A. Jacobs rjacobs at townesquare.net
Mon Sep 17 19:17:02 UTC 2007

With respect to Taubes' account of epidemiology, my epidemiologist
son comments that his article covers almost exactly the same topics
as one he wrote a few years back. The points are reasonable but
overblown and highly selective.  Some things are twisted.

My son comments: For example, when Richard Peto talked about all the
rubbish published, he almostly certainly didn't mean ALL
observational studies, as Taubes said he did.  Peto is probably very
unhappy about this right now.  Note that Taubes also implies that
epidemiology hasn't figured anything out about why Japanese have
lower rates of breast cancer - in fact it's almost certain that
obesity has a lot to do with it.  And it's not as if we have no clue
about what causes obesity, as Taubes later implies.  Few if any
working in obesity doubt that it's a combination of eating too much
and not having enough physical activity.

When Taubes did this a few years ago, my son vaguely remembers a lot
of quoted senior epidemiologists being unhappy about having their
statements quoted out of context and strung put together with a bunch
of other selected self-critical statements from epidemiologists, to
form an overly damning picture of the field as a whole.

Even given the natural desire to defend one's own field, the above
points surely indicate the dangers of using material in a field in
which one lacks expertise to score points about one's own field.

Best,

Roderick A. Jacobs

--
Roderick A. Jacobs, Author/Linguistic Consultant 	Recent Articles:
[Georgia State University] 			Review of  'Handbook
of English Linguistics
Em.Prof. Linguistics & 2nd Language Studies		in JOURNAL OF
ENGLISH LINGUISTICS,	,
Past Dean, College of Languages, Linguistics, 		35:2 (June
2007), 188-193.
& Literature, University of Hawai'i
Books recent or in process:			Review of 'Mental
Spaces in Grammar:
English Syntax (Oxford University Press)		Conditional
Constructions' in COGNITIVE
Valhalla's Daughter (with agent)			LINGUISTICS,
17-4 (2006), pp.567-574.
Hands Across Time (in process)
Tel: 404-378-7365				"Apih, the little
dragon", in OKI NIRMALA,