Rules vs. Lists

Rob Freeman lists at chaoticlanguage.com
Thu Jul 3 00:29:31 UTC 2008

Aya,

You seem to be implying there is already a large body of literature
addressing this.

Do you have any references for what you describe as "list-based"
systems ("more rules than examples of their application"), in
particular with reference to language?

For the system to be non-trivial the rules should be implicit in the examples.

I particularly want to think about what such a system would look like
from the point of view of the examples (e.g. surely it would mean each
example would be subject to interpretation in more than one way, a
given interpretation dependent on context, etc.)

-Rob