Rule-List Fallacy

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at eva.mpg.de
Tue Jun 10 18:49:47 UTC 2008

Thanks a lot, Brian, for this very lucid explanation of the issues from
a psycholinguistic point of view! I have long shared your view that "in
a given usage of a particular form by a given person at a given moment,
one seldom knows whether rules or lists applied. Only if a clear
productive overgeneralization occurs, and this is very rare, can one
know for sure that a rule or gang effect applied" (my view is probably
due to your influence, however indirectly!). This also makes me quite
skeptical of "cognitive linguistics" of any sort – the adjective
"cognitive" sounds great, especially to linguists who don't know much
about cognition, but it probably promises more than we can deliver as
linguists.

Concerning your last point:
> Given this horse race view, I find it difficult to understand how one
> can view either rules or lists as the unmarked or default case or
> suggest that there is any null hypothesis regarding this interplay.
> One can entertain opposing null hypotheses, of course, but their
> half-life would be measured in seconds.
What I meant is that rote processing and rule processing do not have the
same status: Vervet monkeys and dogs are pretty good at rote processing,
but to what extent they can deal with rules is unclear. Clearly,
rote/list precedes rule phylogentically and ontogenetically, and while
rote/list without rule can be fully functional, rule without rote/list
is incoherent – there wouldn't be anything for the rule to apply to.

Thus, one cannot cite the Rule-List Fallacy as an argument against the
claim that rules don't exist (as Newmeyer has done in his paper and in a
recent Funknet message). Sometimes (e.g. in vervet monkeys) they really
don't seem to exist, and maybe someone wants to argue that human
language is likewise fully rote/list-based, without rules.

Martin

--
Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at eva.mpg.de)
Max-Planck-Institut fuer evolutionaere Anthropologie, Deutscher Platz 6

Glottopedia - the free encyclopedia of linguistics
(http://www.glottopedia.org)