Request for support from UF linguists

Jessi Elana Aaron jeaaron at ufl.edu
Sat May 10 22:26:32 UTC 2008

Dear fellow Funknetters,

As some of you may have heard, the University of Florida has
recently taken $47 million in cuts.
An article on this is in the Chronicle, at
http://chronicle.com/news/article/4435/u-of-florida-plans-layoffs-and-enrollment-cuts-as-state-funds-fall

The President's plan for cuts falls disproportionately heavily on
the Humanities, in particular on the language programs. As a
linguist in Romance Languages (Spanish), I fear that these
proposed cuts will permanently damage our ability to provide
quality education in linguistics, especially for those interested
in languages other than English.

The proposed cuts include:

Elimination of PhD program in French
Elimination of PhD program in German
Elimination of PhD program in Philosophy
Elimination of language instruction in Vietnamese and Korean
The current departments of African & Asian Languages and
Literatures, Germanic & Slavic Studies and Romance Languages and
Literatures will be reformulated into a Department of Modern
Foreign Languages and a Department of Spanish Language and
Literature

Many members of the humanities faculty are concerned with the
elimination of the PhD programs in particular. In the case of
French, it is one of few in the nation to offer a French
linguistics track at the PhD level, and this will be lost. Also
lost will be the possibility for doctoral students interested in
cross-linguistic Romance to benefit from collaboration with both
Spanish and French faculty. Many of us are also dismayed by the
bundling of all modern languages--except Spanish--into one
department, which sends a message to students that languages are
not as diverse or as important as we all know them to be.

Many feel that the faculty and chairs were not adequately
consulted (see
http://www.gainesville.com/article/20080509/NEWS/805090323/0/FRONTPAGE
), and are asking for support from the professional community to
provide evidence that such cuts are damaging to UF's reputation
and therefore detrimental to the long-term health of UF as an
institution of higher education. If you would like to comment on
these cuts, please visit
http://www.clas.ufl.edu/users/antes/Comments%20French%20PhD.html

Thank you for your support,

Jessi Elana Aaron

--

Jessi Elana Aaron, PhD
Assistant Professor of Spanish Linguistics