Reviews

A. Katz amnfn at well.com
Mon May 26 13:53:28 UTC 2008

The problem with reviews that have only positive things to say is that
they don't really help to start a dialogue about the material.

When I write a book or an article, I am far less gratified by "good book,
good article" to which there is no possible response except "Thank You"
and the conversation is over. Whereas if someone comes up to me and says:
"I read your book/ article, but I didn't understand (or agree with)
this part", then we can have a real conversation, and we can both come away
enriched by it.

This may reveal my naturally argumentative nature, but the thing is that
logical argument is not a bad thing. In the sciences, it's encouraged. How
else are we ever going to get at the truth?

Best,

       --Aya