'substantial surprise'

Wolfgang Schulze W.Schulze at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Fri Apr 24 04:02:01 UTC 2009

Dear Aya,
just a brief comment:
This (how we call it) Grand Cycle is not necessarily unidirectional, as
shown e.g. by Ossetian (North East Iranian) and Tokharian, both
languages that have shifted from basically inflectional to
agglutinating, without passing through the stage of 'isolating' (most
likely motivated by language contact, I have to admit)...
Best wishes,
Wolfgang

--

*Prof. Dr. Wolfgang
Schulze    *

/Primary contact:

  /

Institut für Allgemeine & Typologische Sprachwissenschaft

Dept. II / F 13

Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München

Ludwigstraße 25

Postanschrift / Postal address: Geschwister-Scholl-Platz 1

D-80539 München

Tel.: 0049-(0)89-2180-2486
(Secretary)

         0049-(0)89-2180-5343