naming a language

Tom Givon tgivon at uoregon.edu
Wed Mar 18 17:27:09 UTC 2009

Of course, most traditional peoples (pre-ag. cultures) used to call
themselves "the people" and all other groups "the others", "the enemy",
"the strangers", etc. (Ute "Nuuchi-u", "Kumaachi-u", resp.). And some
(Ute, Navajo) seem to be content to retain this practice to this day.
Naming problems seem to be the product of contact. But, so far as can be
determined, a rose by any other name is still you-know-what. Enjoy the
spring, TG

========