Peer reviewing

Balthasar Bickel autotype at uni-leipzig.de
Thu Apr 1 15:39:11 UTC 2010

I fully agree with what Lachlan and Bill have said. The task of editors or editorial board members is precisely to evaluate both the paper *and* the reviews and to communicate the conclusions to the author. And yes, authors do need to explain how they respond to reviews. If one provides good arguments, it is perfectly possible not to follow a referee's suggestions, and this happens quite often in my experience (both as an editor and as an author).

Balthasar.