Peer reviewing

Wolfgang Schulze W.Schulze at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Thu Apr 1 17:01:02 UTC 2010

A tricky problem, indeed! I think that the R&R problem is only part of a
major problem that is linked to peer reviewing as such. From an
economical/commercial point of view, peer reviewing is absolutely
necessary to secure the role a journal plays on the market and to
maintain its economic 'value' (surplus). This value guarantees that the
journal is constantly sold to those who expect a certain profile
represented by the individual articles. Here, the reviewers have to keep
the balance between contents that are both in line with the general
expectations of the journal's readership /and/ include modestly
formulated innovations. Basically, this is the same 'function' that
subeditors of any commercial journal or newspaper have to observe. The
problem is that these commercial aspects are mixed with scientific
evaluation. Nowadays, the paradigm of humanities is much more oriented
towards maintaining a certain mainstream than say 100 to 150 years ago.
Authors who submit papers not in line with this paradigm / mainstream
will hardly ever have the chance to get their papers published, not
because they tell stupid things (that may happen, too), but because
their arguments, analyses, or theoremes do not fall into what is
currently mainstream. I guess that much of what we currently 'think' in
linguistics is grounded in papers and books the manuscripts of which
would never have had the chance to get published if they were written
(two/tree)hundred years later (that is today) [just recall the New
Grammarian controversy, Herders' text on the origins of language,
Rousseau's reference towards 'primitive' societies and their way of
communicating, just to name a few]. The difference naturally also is
that today, linguistics s a (payed) profession, controlled by those who
offer employment and who set up certain rules which have to be obeyed
and to be internalized by those who want to get such a job. Freedom of
public (!) thinking becomes more and more replaced by self-constraints
and the internalization of public 'rules', a process that is reinforced
by the way 'publicity' is expected to be achieved by the researcher. The
many regulations that are currently practiced (citation index, number of
publications in peer reviewed journals etc.) essentially contribute to
the 'linearization' (or: harmonization) of linguistic thinking. This is
what Jean-Louis Calvet refers to when saying : "./.. la façon dont on
analyse l'ensemble des langues et les rapports qu'elles entretiennent
est profondément déterminée par l'organisation sociale du sein de
laquelle on écrit et par les conflits qui opposent la communauté de
l'écrivain à d'autres communautés/" Calvet, Louis-Jean 1979 [1974]
/Linguistique et colonialisme, petit traité de glottophagie./ 2e
édition. Paris: Petite Bibliothèque Payot, p.21). 'Public Linguistics'
is thus strongly governed by commercial and social features that again
are embodied in the overall 'philosophic paradigm' we have to live with.
Calvet continues: "/'Chaque siècle a la grammaire de sa philosophie',
écrivait Antoine Meillet. Cette proposition, on l'aura compris, nous
paraît très incomplète et, par souci de simplification, c'est par la
suivante que nous la remplacerons pour conclure : chaque société a la
linguistique de ses rapports de productio/n" (p.39). Peer reviewing thus
is an important tool to safeguard the type of linguistics we're used to
nowadays - we cannot escape from it. It's another question whether it
really promotes the development of linguistics or whether it pulls it
back to what is currently 'correct'. Sure, this also is a problem of
ethics - and all of us should rely on the fact that the peer reviewers
meet these the ethical standards that include the readiness to consider
hypotheses, arguments, and theoremes they are not used to
(unfortunately, I sometimes made the experience that this is not always
the case: I once had an article rejected with the simple note of one the
reviewers saying: "Don't publish! I don't understand the paper!"). And
many reviewers really help to improve the quality of a paper by simply
taking the perspective of the potential readership. Likewise, reviewing
is essential for eliminating flaws, faults, wrong data etc. But often
enough, papers seem to be rejected just because they do not meet the
interest of the reviewer, their self-profiling attitude, or global
perspective  (OK, then you would say: Try another journal. But imagine
that you deal in your paper with data from a language for which there
are only few experts. The chance to meet the same reviewer again is
rather high). Linguistics, just as any other type of sciences that is
strongly grounded in the dimension of 'interpretation' and 'modeling'
always wavers between four tendencies: Conversation (and confirmation)
of a given paradigm, evolution (or modification), reactionary draw-back,
and revolution. Presently, much seems to be allowed as long as it tries
to find its way between conservation and modest evolution (and sometimes
to comfort reviewers). In this sense, public 'linguistic revolutions'
won't have any chance any more..... Let's wait and see what linguists
will say about all this when writing a history of linguistics in say 500
years....
Best wishes,
Wolfgang

*Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Schulze *

/Primary contact: /

Institut für Allgemeine & Typologische Sprachwissenschaft

Dept. II / F 13

Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München

Ludwigstraße 25

Postanschrift / Postal address: Geschwister-Scholl-Platz 1

D-80539 München

Tel.: 0049-(0)89-2180-2486 (Secretary)

          0049-(0)89-2180-5343 (Office)

Fax:  0049-(0)89-2180-16567 // 0049-(0)89-2180-5345

Email: W.Schulze at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
<mailto:W.Schulze at lrz.uni-muenchen.de> /// Wolfgang.Schulze at lmu.de
<mailto:Wolfgang.Schulze at lmu.de>

Web: http://www.ats.uni-muenchen.de/personen/professoren/schulze/index.html

http://www.wolfgangschulze.in-devir.com

/Second contact: /

Katedra Germanistiký

Fakulta humanitných vied

Univerzita Mateja Béla / Banská Bystrica

Tajovského 40

SK-97401 Banská Bystrica

Tel: (00421)-(0)48-4465108

Fax: (00421)-(0)48-4465512