Good intro to Articulatory Phonology?

Angus B. Grieve-Smith grvsmth at panix.com
Fri Dec 24 15:13:09 UTC 2010

     Johanna Rubba's query put me in mind of a task I'd like some help
with.  This past semester in my intro linguistics class, I started
giving basic explanations for phonological phenomena in terms of
articulatory phonology.  I found that the students seemed to understand
them and appreciate them, and while I still think it's a good idea for
students to get some sense of phonemic analysis and generative rules,
I'd like to incorporate articulatory phonology more formally.

     Can anyone recommend a good short introduction and exercises to
supplement the phonology chapter in Yule (2010), appropriate for
undergraduates with no previous coursework in linguistics?

     Thanks in advance.

--
				-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
				Saint John's University