Book suggestions

Ellen Contini-Morava elc9j at virginia.edu
Tue Dec 28 02:06:18 UTC 2010

I don't teach Intro to Linguistics but I throw some linguistics into my
lower-level undergrad Language & Culture course.  Even learning
phonetics can have practical applications (such as knowing what you're
trying to do when pronouncing a foreign language), and students are
usually fascinated with things like clicks and tone-based drum
communication.  And it's not impossible to describe traditional
linguistic concepts in an accessible way.  Since Johanna mentioned that

> the linguistics approach is *alien* to them (and I mean that in the
> Martian sense)

let me recommend one of my favorite explanations of the phonemic
principle by the late, great Charles Hockett:  "How to learn Martian".
Originally published in /Astounding Science Fiction/, 1955, and
reprinted in /The View From Language/.Athens, GA:University of Georgia
Press 1977.

Happy new year,

Ellen