Chomsky

Richard Hudson dick at ling.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Oct 25 08:09:57 UTC 2010

Thanks Aya, Alex and Mark for your views. It's very odd for me to be
defending Chomsky, since I've spent most of my life criticising him, but
he's an ordinary human being just like the rest of us, with good points
and bad points. When I said he couldn't be all wrong, I actually meant
he wasn't all wrong - I can easily think of plenty of things that he did
that were right, and inspired good work.

My personal list of achievements by Chomsky:
- His 1970 article on nominalisation, with its clear distinction between
gerunds and nominalisations.
- His insights into the structure of the English auxiliary system (but
not his morpheme-based analysis).
- His observations on island constraints in syntax - but not his
conclusions.
- His contrast between knowledge (competence) and behaviour
(performance) - but not his catch-all use of 'performance'.
- His idea of formal 'generative' grammar - but not his later
abandonment of the substance.
I dare say I could add some more if I thought a bit longer. These are
all things that he did which influenced my own (generally non-Chomskyan)
work, and which I know have influenced plenty of other non-Chomskyans.

And I don't agree that the whole field is so dominated by his doctrines
that other views can't be heard - just think of all the books and
articles and university departments oriented towards other approaches,
from non-Chomskyan formal theories such as HPSG and LFG, to
non-Chomskyan informal work on discourse and the like. I'm sure some
people on this list both disagree with Chomsky and have tenure.

Dick Hudson

--
Richard Hudson www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/dick/home.htm