Chomsky

Tom Givon tgivon at uoregon.edu
Mon Oct 25 15:18:01 UTC 2010

I think Henrik is trying to jiggle our memory chains. So yes, some
people have short memories.

One could of course say a few more things in retrospect. Functionalist,
my earlier self included, have been prone to throw the baby out with the
bathwater. That is, to ignore or deny the structural (= formal)
properties of grammar just because Chomsky chose to emphasize them
exclusively. The epitome of this was the late Erica Gracia's exhortation
to "function without structure", a sentiment that continue to haunt many
functionalists' work. The most cursory perusal of the history of
biology, beginning with Aristotle's placing the on firm functionalist (=
adaptive) foundations 2,300 years ago, ought to convince us that this is
utter logical nonsense.

Another one concerns innateness, which for any evolutionist means, quite
simply, the acknowledgement that evolution has taken place, and that the
cumulative adaptive experience of ancestral generations has found its
way into the genome. Just because Chomsky's extreme abuse of this notion
in his non-empirical account of language acquisition does not mean that
the genetic basis of human language is in any way tainted. No reasonable
primatologist or child-language scholar could get away with such a position.

Likewise, Chomsky's abuse of the notion 'theory' (=formalism) and
'universals' is a lame excuse for functionalist to reject the profound
value of theory (=universals & their explanation). In science, data
without theory is missing the whole point.

Lastly, I think Chomsky-bashing is a rather unprofitable exercise for
functionalist, especially that quite often we are guilty of the very
same intellectual insularity as the generativists. For my money, I have
learned an incredible amount from Noam. True, a lot of it was via a
negative venue, but what the hell, you pick 'em where you find 'em. So
perhaps the old Biblical caution ought to apply here: "Remove a beam
from your own eye before you take a speck out of the eye of a friend".

Cheers, TG