Linguistics, MT, and AI...

alex gross language at sprynet.com
Sat Oct 30 03:25:47 UTC 2010

Thanks to Yuri Tambovtsev for the following:

> There is a crisis in linguistics, though linguists do not care to notice
> it.

I don't intend to push the points I have already made too much further,
since I respect all of you for the difficult situation in which you find
yourselves, even if you "do not care to notice it."

If it's any consolation, you're not alone in this situation, it's one shared
by everyone in the AI field, of which MT is just one branch (and yes, I'm
aware there was an MT movement before AI which would later merge). Up there
on that Tokyo Prize stage with Chomsky was John McCarthy, the inventor of
the phrase Artificial Intelligence and often named as its father.  (If
memory serves, you'll find a photo of them both on that Tokyo platform in
Barsky's bio).

It was a heady year, 1988, when AI was at its summit of prestige, when we
were told repeatedly that it was only a matter of time before KEs (Knowledge
Engineers) would be arriving in every area of business, education, and
industry to consult with DEs (Domain Experts), and once the KEs had absorbed
what the DEs knew, they would digitize it all, and DEs would no longer be
needed.

But it all worked out rather differently, just as in MT, where it was widely
boasted in 1988 that human translators, the DEs in their field, were soon
due to vanish. What actually turned out is that almost all the MT companies
of the 80s & 90s went under, while remaining MT/TM companies are virtually
begging human translators to use their systems, since only human translators
are capable of coping with them.

Back during those ambitious 80s & 90s, it was widely boasted that the Austin
CYC project would soon solve all of AI and language by joining vast numbers
of computers together to simulate the human mind & human language. We hear
little about CYC these days, though according to the Times it has just been
reborn at Carnegie Mellon under its new name of NELL (Never Ending Language
Learning).  I'm willing to bet that my 1994 criticisms of CYC will still
apply to NELL, you'll find them at:

http://language.home.sprynet.com/lingdex/nextwave.htm#totop

Just a few weeks ago the New York Times published another pro-AI article
claiming that robotically driven cars are nearly here.  None other than John
McCarthy made this claim to me on-line back in 1998, and once again I
believe that most of the counter-arguments I made to him then still hold.
You'll find them at:

http://language.home.sprynet.com/lingdex/autocars.htm

I could go on and on with further AI examples but will spare you. The future
of linguistics is your problem, and sooner or later you will need to
confront it.

Very best to everyone!

alex

PS--I realize that "culture" is a dirty word around here, but the granting
of the Tokyo Prize to Chomsky and McCarthy by Japan was scarcely a
disinterested one devoid of cultural and political overtones. This was the
period when the Japanese were staking their own future on AI with their
so-called Fifth Generation drive, and they saw these two men as providing
key guidance in their campaign, Chomsky for language, McCarthy for
everything else.  I discussed all of this in some detail at the time in a
review you can find here:

http://language.home.sprynet.com/lingdex/japanai.htm#totop