Associative plurals

Geoff Nathan geoffnathan at wayne.edu
Tue Apr 5 10:16:22 UTC 2011

The 'suffix' -n them, or even nem was also common in white Southern Ontario English when I was growing up in the fifties-sixties, only attached to proper names.
A French colleague (originally from Morocco) with whom Margaret Winters and I socialized used to refer to us as 'les Margaret', so it's probably pretty widespread in French too.

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Professor, Linguistics Program
http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/