Roseta Stone: Redux

Elena Lieven lieven at eva.mpg.de
Thu Feb 10 07:15:36 UTC 2011

Dan is right.  Of course it depends what is meant by 'acquiring a
language'.  The skills of highly educated people or public speakers and
great story tellers in oral cultures will not necessarily be acquired by
all members of a community.  Ewa Dabrowska has shown this for some
aspects of case morphology in Polish and for passives and quantifer
scope in English -  both studies of adult native speakers
elena lieven

--
Elena Lieven
Department of Developmental and Comparative Psychology

Tel.+49-(0)341-3550 404
    +49-(0)341-3550 400 (Department Coordinator: Henriette Zeidler)
Fax.+49-(0)341-3550 444

and

Max Planck Child Study Centre
School of Psychological Sciences
University of Manchester
Manchester M13 9PL
UK

Tel.+44-(0)161-275 2580
    +44-(0)161-275 2444 (Research Secretary: Mickie Glover)
Fax.+44-(0)161-275 8587