teaching foreign languages at an early age

Ariel Spigelman ariel.spigelman at usyd.edu.au
Tue Jan 18 16:29:49 UTC 2011

An interesting view of certain Spanish phoneticians (e.g.
Marti?nez-Celdra?n 2004) is that the bilabial, dental, and velar
fricatives in Spanish shouldn't be classified as fricatives at all,
lacking as they do a "turbulent airstream...which is required for any
fricative" (p. 203).  He rather classifies them as a kind of
'spirantized approximant'.

Eugenio Marti'nez-Celdra'n (2004). Problems in the classification of
approximants. /Journal of the International Phonetic Association/, 34,
pp 201-210