Neural Circuits

Lise Menn lise.menn at Colorado.EDU
Thu Mar 3 18:18:57 UTC 2011

As far as I can see, it's a new experimental task, and as such, it's
one of a large number of experiments over the past decade that have
shown that the 1-to-1 assignment of what we think of as 'processes' to
particular areas of the brain is wrong.But it would have been very
hard to come up with anything better than that simple idea until brain
imaging became sufficiently sensitive to show the rich (but not
amorphous!) patterns of activation involved in doing anything cognitive.
	Tom Givon pointed out on a Facebook discussion yesterday that the old
picture has been successfully challenged already, and that this is not
a natural task. Both are true, but that doesn't detract from its value
as another piece of the new picture.
	Lise

On Mar 3, 2011, at 4:16 AM, jess tauber wrote:

> http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/02/110228151752.htm
>
> This is vxt new?
>
> Jess Tauber
> phonosemantics at earthlink.net

Lise Menn                      Home Office: 303-444-4274
1625 Mariposa Ave	Fax: 303-413-0017
Boulder CO 80302
http://spot.colorado.edu/~menn/index.html

Professor Emerita of Linguistics
Fellow, Institute of Cognitive Science
University of  Colorado

Secretary, AAAS Section Z [Linguistics]
Fellow, Linguistic Society of America

Campus Mail Address:
UCB 594, Institute for Cognitive Science

Campus Physical Address:
CINC 234
1777 Exposition Ave, Boulder