Versatility?

Wolfgang Schulze W.Schulze at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Sun Mar 20 08:48:02 UTC 2011

Yes, this sounds extremely reasonable (hence = 'contused wound') (<w>
instead of <q>, and the final <r> being just a 'hypertrophy'): I have
asked my children what they would associate with this term (by itself
totally unknown to them). All they said is that it could be some kind of
bruise ('Quetschung'), neglecting the second part of the compound
'Wunde' (wound).

To add one point:
Alex wrote
> German medical terms are often more readily tranparent to
> their speeakers than English ones are.
Well, you should bare in mind that in Germany, true medical (technical)
terms are strongly related to some kind of Latin/Greek-based special
language rendering a doctor's verbalized diagnostics often a secret
code. The use of this code is part of the habitual language of doctors
etc., symbolizing their 'power' over both illnesses and patients. The
everyday nomenclature of medical terms is usually avoided by doctors
etc., because it is said to be correlated with non-expertise. Maybe that
in English, the same contrast had once been present. But contrary to
German traditions, the 'doctor's language' seems to have been widely
adopted in everyday speech in the English culture.... I guess others
will know much more about that point than I.
Best
Wolfgang