Who is/isn't a linguist?

Frederick J Newmeyer fjn at u.washington.edu
Fri Sep 30 06:45:18 UTC 2011

I just wanted to reinforce what Victor wrote. When Whorf died very young in 1941 -- he was only 44 years old -- the journal Language gave him a full obituary. That was a very rare occurrence then (as now). There is no question that, despite his 'amateur status', he was considered by the linguists of the day not just as a 'linguist', but as their equal.

--fritz

Frederick J. Newmeyer
Professor Emeritus, University of Washington
Adjunct Professor, University of British Columbia and Simon Fraser University
[for my postal address, please contact me by e-mail]