Extended deadline for call for papers (8/17) - High Desert Linguistics Society Conference 10

High Desert Linguistics Society UNM hdls at unm.edu
Wed Aug 15 16:00:23 UTC 2012

(Apologies for multiple postings)

You still have time to submit an abstract for the Tenth High Desert
Linguistic Society Conference. The deadline for abstract submissions has
been extended until *Friday, August 17th at 11:59 PM (MST)*. Submitters
will be notified of acceptance status by Sunday, August 19th. If you would
like more information, please visit the HDLS Conference 10 website at
http://linggraduate.unm.edu/conference/2012/index.html

*Final call for papers—Tenth High Desert Linguistics Society (HDLS)
Conference:** **Cognition, culture and discourse in signed, spoken and
indigenous languages*

University of New Mexico

November 1-3, 2012

Registration opens: May 15, 2012

Please visit the HDLS Conference 10 website at
http://linggraduate.unm.edu/conference/2012/index.html
*

We invite you to submit proposals for talks at the Tenth High Desert
Linguistics Society (HDLS) Conference 10. **General presentations** will be
20 minutes followed by 5 minutes for discussion. We are also accepting
abstract submissions for **poster-sessions**. We welcome proposals for
talks/poster-sessions in the following areas: *

   - Acquisition

   - Cognitive linguistics

   - Educational linguistics

   - Functional linguistics and discourse analysis

   - Gesture

   - Indigenous language endangerment, revitalization and description

   - Language and culture

   - Linguistic typology

   - Signed languages

   - Sociolinguistics

*Finally, we also invite speakers to propose** themed panels**, **which
will consist of three presenters. Each presenter will be responsible for a
10-minute presentation, for a combined total of 30-minutes per panel,
followed by 10 minutes for questions addressed to the panel. Speakers who
propose a panel topic are responsible for arranging who will participate in
the proposed panel. Only one abstract should be submitted per topic. The
abstract should include the proposed panel topic, and how each speaker will
contribute to the proposed theme.*

*
*

*Keynote speakers:*

Paul Dudis<http://www.gallaudet.edu/faculty-staff/linguistics/dudis_paul.html>—Gallaudet
University (Signed Languages)

Jane Hill—University of Arizona (Language Revitalization and Language
Ideologies)
Beth Levin <http://www.stanford.edu/%7Ebclevin/>—Stanford University
(Lexical Semantics)

HDLS Officers
President: Laura Hirrel
Vice president: Corrine Occhino-Kehoe
Secretary: Keiko Beers
Treasurer: Masha Sotnikova
HDLS Liaison to the Faculty: Benjamin Anible

High Desert Linguistics Society
Department of Linguistics
The University of New Mexico
hdls at unm.edu