languages with SOV word order with case-marking vs. languages with SVO word order without case-marking

Daniel W. Hieber dwhieb at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 15:10:37 UTC 2012

Hi Ted,

Comrie discusses this in his book Language Universals & Linguistic Typology,
pp. 213-214, citing specifically Vennemann 1974 (full citation below),
although Comrie is rather critical of his claims. Vennemann's idea is also
critiqued by Hawkins 1983, chs. 5-6.

Vennemann, Theo. 1984. Typology, universals and change of language. In Jacek
Fisiak (ed.), Historical Syntax. Trends in Linguistics: Studies and
Monographs 23. Berlin: Mouton, 593-612.

Hawkins, John A. 1983. Word order universals. Quantitative Analyses of
Linguistic Structure. New York: Academic Press.

Hope that helps,

Danny Hieber