Terminology for verbal derivation

john john at research.haifa.ac.il
Mon Jul 16 05:40:26 UTC 2012

Dear Funknetters,

I'm looking for a term to use to refer to a form
for deriving verbs in Bari (-kindya) which seems to

generally add an
argument to the verb, but the argument can be any one of a variety of
types--it can be

an indirect object, a directional particle, just
about anything it seems (for example, when added to the

root meaning
'old age', it can take as an argument a place, with the meaning 'to live
to an old age while

living continuously at that place', or a
nominalized form of a verb referring to an occupation, with the

meaning 'to live to an old age while continuing to work at that
occupation'). Do you have any ideas what

term I might use to refer to
this form of the verb? I was initially going to call it the
'Benefactive' because

it's often used to add an indirect object (e.g.
'close a door for someone') but when I looked at all of the

usages of
this form it became clear that this is really a pretty small minority of
its uses.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John