Whorf Revisited...

s.t. Bischoff bischoff.st at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 14:36:48 UTC 2014

Hello all,

Recently Dan posted a link to four debates held at the University of
Gronigen. One was a debate regarding language and thought with Geoff Pullum
and Guillaume Thierry <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMNFyhuqyNQ>. This
morning NPR had an interesting piece regarding the release of a gut peptide
associated with managing the sensation of hunger in individuals who had
been presented with differently worded labels before consumption.

The NPR piece can be found
here<http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/04/14/299179468/mind-over-milkshake-how-your-thoughts-fool-your-stomach>
:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/04/14/299179468/mind-over-milkshake-how-your-thoughts-fool-your-stomach
<http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/04/14/299179468/mind-over-milkshake-how-your-thoughts-fool-your-stomach%20>

The actual paper published can be found
here<http://www.ruddcenter.yale.edu/resources/upload/docs/what/food-obesity/MindsetGhrelinResponse_HP_5.11.pdf>

http://www.ruddcenter.yale.edu/resources/upload/docs/what/food-obesity/MindsetGhrelinResponse_HP_5.11.pdf

I believe there has been research done on the physiological response
individuals have to certain "triggers words", which might be in the same
vain as this experiment to a certain degree but this is beyond my
expertise. I wonder however, if anyone sees this as an additional way to
pursue the issue of language and thought as presented by Guillaume in the
debate? Guillaume presents research that confirms language has an impact on
certain types of perception...would language having an effect on the
physiology of satiation be a similar kind of effect?

Thanks,
Shannon