formally-determined morpheme order

Jeff Good jcgood at buffalo.edu
Thu Feb 27 22:39:55 UTC 2014

Dear Fritz,

I am not aware of a good case that closely matches your example language, that is where the constraints on ordering are stated in primarily phonological terms (though see one proposal below). However, Larry Hyman, in a number of papers, has argued that four of the Bantu valency-changing suffixes are subject to an ordering template by virtue of their morphological identity alone. A copy of the paper where this is argued for in most detail is here:
http://www.linguistics.ucla.edu/people/hayes/205/Readings/Hyman_SuffixOrderingInBantu_2002.pdf

If you accept his analysis, then I think it is the kind of case you are looking for.

You may also want to look at this dissertation by Mary Paster entitled, "Phonological Conditions on Affixation":
http://pages.pomona.edu/~mp034747/paster_dissertation.pdf

Her section 5.4, on possible cases of phonologically-conditioned affix order, would be most relevant. Of particular interest here is the Pulaar case, where it has been proposed that affix order is driven by a sonority condition describable as something like T > D > N > R, where the symbols correspond to suffixes containing those consonants (or something along those lines). There are alternative analyses (see Paster's dissertation), but this is probably the most striking proposal of formally-driven ordering for more than one or two affixes that I've seen. (Mary Paster's publication page also has relevant papers, http://pages.pomona.edu/~mp034747/papers.html.)

Best,
Jeff