Review of research on gesture

Eve E. SWEETSER sweetser at berkeley.edu
Thu May 8 22:42:43 UTC 2014

Well, although Sherman is quite right, let me emphasize that it's not ONLY
sign linguists.  There are quite a few linguists in the International
Society for Gesture Studies meetings, and there are now regularly sessions
on co-speech gesture at cognitive linguistic meetings such as ICLC and
CSDL.  It may be true that outside of functionalist and cognitivist
linguistics, linguistics is done without consideration of gesture; it is
even true that MOST cog and funk linguists are still ignoring gesture.  But
there is a lively interdisciplinary group of linguists (sign linguists and
spoken-language linguists) who do regularly and seriously consider language
in multimodal context.

Eve