Vote

Sally McConnell-Ginet smg9 at CORNELL.EDU
Mon Feb 21 19:25:23 UTC 2000

Megan, it's probably too late but ....  I vote yes on 1, no on 2 and 3.  I
vote yes on (5) and on (7) and am agnostic about the others.  Sorry to have
forgotten--and I quite understand if it's too late to count this.  S

>Hi all,
>
>We set the deadline for the vote we're doing now for Tuesday, but
>only 17 people have voted.  Let's extend the vote until Thursday at
>midnight (your time), to make sure everyone who'd like to vote, but
>couldn't find the time or forgot, can do so.  In case you've deleted
>the vote, I've copied it below.
>
>--Megan
>
>__________________
>VOTE: STRUCTURE OF IGALA'S ADVISORY COUNCIL
>
>Since we've had a number of proposals regarding the structure of the
>advisory council, voting on it is a bit complicated.  We think that
>the best way of doing this so that the many parts of different
>proposals will be to go from general to more specific.  This means
>this message is a bit complicated, with a number of different items
>for you to provide an 'up' or 'down' (i.e. 'yes' or 'no') vote on.
>The reason for using a "vote yes or no on each of the following" as
>opposed to "vote for one of the following" is to give you the chance
>of giving an opinion on every item.  This way, you will not have to
>choose between two options, neither of which appeals to you, or
>abstain from voting.  In that case, you may vote "no" on both.
>Alternatively, if you could live with some subset of the options
>presented, you may vote "yes" on all of the options that you would
>support.  We'll tally all of the "yes" votes, and all of the "no"
>votes, and will put together a package that consists of the options
>favoured by the majority.  (If there are more noes than yesses, we'll
>this is the fairest way we can think of for getting the job done.
>
>Please note that all of the options presented here are options
>proposed in earlier discussion that are consistent with policies
>we've already voted on (and I hope we've remembered everything we
>need to).
>
>Please send your completed ballots to me (Megan Crowhurst) at
>mcrowhurst at mail.utexas.edu.  We'll count all responses received on or
>before Thursday, February 17, 2000.
>
>It might be useful to read through the ballot completely before
>responding so that you understand how we're structuring the vote.  If
>you have any questions about how to proceed with voting, please post
>them to GALA-L.
>
>ITEM 1:  GENERAL STRUCTURE OF IGALA'S ADVISORY COMMITTEE. BIPARTITE
>VS. TRIPARTITE STRUCTURE.
>
>Bearing in mind we've already voted to have specifically designated
>seats: *Please vote "yes" for each proposed structure that you
>support, and "no" for each proposed structure that you oppose.  (That
>is, return a "yes" or "no" vote for each of (1), (2) and (3).)*
>
>(1)	A BIPARTITE Advisory Council with:
>
>	- A number of designated seats, to be filled by members representing
>	  specific PROFESSIONAL/ACADEMIC concerns and APPOINTED by the
>	  Executive Committee; and
>
>	- A number of undesignated "at large" seats, to be filled by
>members who
> [...]

Sally McConnell-Ginet
Professor of Linguistics
Secretary-Treasurer, Linguistic Society of America
Department of Linguistics
Morrill Hall, Cornell
Ithaca, NY 14853
607-255-6469