[Gala-l] Thanks for IGALA11 and looking forward to IGALA12

Claire Maree cmaree at unimelb.edu.au
Fri Aug 6 08:02:30 UTC 2021

Dear all,

Thanks again to everyone for presenting research and leading discussions at IGALA11.
 It was a fantastic event that generated new connections and offered the opportunity to reconnect across and between colleagues working in gender, language, and sexuality studies.
Sincere thanks to the IGALA11 Conference Chair, Erez Levon, and to all of the IGALA11 Conference team. Erez worked tirelessly to manage both the extremely difficult decision to postpone the conference for a year, and then to shift the conference online for 2021. The Conference team also worked tirelessly to facilitate the discussion and ensure the smooth running of the platform. As you will know, Chairing the IGALA Conference is done entirely on a volunteer basis, and made possible by the hard work of the Organising Committee, and support from sponsors they have attracted. IGALA membership fees are used to provide bursaries for presenters from lower and middle income countries and to support our emerging researchers – graduate students who are the future of our work.  We are immensely grateful to our sponsors, and to IGALA members for contributing in this important way.
Save the date! IGALA 12: 4 – 6 July, 2023 Following on from the success of IGALA11, we are delighted to announce that IGALA12 will be held at the University of Queensland under the Committee Chair of Kate Power. Kate has put together a fantastic team, and we are very excited to be working on the next conference. This will be the first time IGALA will come to Australia. More details will be available in the coming months. In the meantime, please keep 4 – 6 July, 2023 ​(Tuesday – Thursday) free for IGALA12!
Journal News!
In 2021, IGALA’s flagship journal Gender and Language revisits the role of power in the revitalisation of language, gender and sexuality research that took place in the 1990s, for which the Berkeley Women and Language Conferences provided a prime locus of intellectual debate. Extending a tradition set out by the First Berkeley Women and Language Conference in 1985 (for the proceedings, see Bremner, Caskey and Moonwomon 1985), the four biennial conferences held in the 1990s put into motion a feminist register for the field of language, gender and sexuality that gave its practitioners new ways to understand and articulate social injustice. This register is found in the voluminous proceedings published for each of the four conferences: Locating Power (Hall, Bucholtz and Moonwomon 1992), Cultural Performances (Bucholtz, Liang, Sutton and Hines 1994), Gender and Belief Systems (Warner, Ahlers, Bilmes, Oliver, Wertheim and Chen 1996) and Engendering Communication (Wertheim, Bailey and Corston-Oliver 1998).
To commemorate the vitality of these interconnections, the proceedings for all five Berkeley Women and Language Conferences (1985, 1992, 1994, 1996, 1998) are now available on the IGALA website. https://igalaweb.wixsite.com/igala/proceedings-of-bwlc

Reminder: IGALA Elections
Our IGALA elections are currently underway. Information about the candidates running for election to the IGALA Board are available on the IGALA website, where you can cast your vote. https://igalaweb.wixsite.com/igala/elections

Claire Maree
______________________
Claire Maree (PhD)
Associate Professor & Reader | Asia Institute | University of Melbourne
Deputy Associate Dean Research Grants | Faculty of Arts  | University of Melbourne
Faculty Affiliate, Gender Studies Program  | Faculty of Arts | University of Melbourne

Joint-President, International Gender and Language Association (IGALA)
Review Editor (Culture, Gender and Sexuality) Asian Studies Review
Co-Coordinator,  International Network of Gender, Sexuality & Japanese Language Education (INGS-Japanese)

*New Publication*
queerqueen: Linguistic Excess in Japanese Media. (Oxford University Press, 2020)

Pronouns: -/her/-

I acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the land on which I work, and pay my respects to the Elders, past and present.
CRICOS: 00116K
 This email and any attachments may contain personal information or information that is otherwise confidential or the subject of copyright. Any use, disclosure or copying of any part of it is prohibited. The University does not warrant that this email or any attachments are free from viruses or defects. Please check any attachments for viruses and defects before opening them. If this email is received in error, please delete it and notify us by return email.