[gothic-l] Re: Marcomannic Challenge in _Gladiator_

Brian Beck babeck at ALPHALINK.COM.AU
Thu Jun 29 03:49:13 UTC 2000

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, jdm314 at a... wrote:
>     A friend of mine, a graduate student in Scandinavian Studies
with a
> (un)healthy interest in historical linguistics says that when he
saw the
> movie Gladiator he instantly interpreted the first sentence of the
chief's
> challenge as something like "suk thu nu hyde?" (spelling is mine),
which
> would mean something like "sokjist thu nu haubith?" i.e. "Are you
looking for
> the head, now?"

I must admit I missed it, but your suggestion certainly makes sense.
Perhaps it was "sukst thu nu hyvde" or something like that.  It
sounds vaguely Scandinavian.

Brian

WRITERS WANTED! Themestream allows ALL writers to publish their
articles on the Web, reach thousands of interested readers, and get
paid in cash for their work. Click below: