[gothic-l] Goths Primodial Deed: to Keth

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Thu Jul 19 09:04:23 UTC 2001

Hello Dirk!
Sorry for answering out of chronological order!
Of course what I wrote below was intended only
as an overtatement on my part, and has little
to do with what I consider to be your real opinion.
Especially after your answer to the other post, I
see that we are in complete agreement!

>--- In gothic-l at y..., keth at o... wrote:
>> Hi Dirk, when you quote Jordanes, could you please give
>> reference to the relevant paragraph? Since we all have different
>> editions, it might be nice to compare notes. You said you
>> did not feel qualified to use sources, and that you hated the
>> guts of amateurs who do, because they are "dangerous" and
>> damage (what cause?).
>

>Hi Keth,
>
>please be fair, I never said that I 'hated the guts of amateurs' or
>anything like it. Please don't attribute these kind of expressions to
>me. All I said, or at least mean to say, was that there is a 'danger'
>of mis-interpretation of origianal sources if they are used without
>the proper care.

Yes, that was a bit unfair.
I offer you my apologies!

>Also, you wrote 'When you quote Jordanes....". Please note that I did
>not quote Jordanes, but refered to Erwig Wolfram's book 'Das Reich und
>die Germanen' p. 58, where Wolfram writes that accroding to
>Jordanes/Cassiodorus the Goths completed their primodial deed, the
>migration to the Vistula region in 1490BC. But I will be happy to
>check whether Wolfram gives the exact source and shall let you know
>tomorrow as I don't have my books on me right now.

Yes, but since I don't have a copy of Wolfram, my only alternative
is to check in Jordanes. Surely Wolfram will have included a
reference to paragraph number in Jordanes? If he doesn't
I'll never buy his book.  But from what I've heard, Wolfram is
actually very good and never moves far away from the sources
without explicitly stating so to the reader, so that the reader
is always allowed insight into what the exact sources for his
statements are.

Hoping you will elucidate this number 1490 BC then.

Cheers
Keth