[gothic-l] Re: ASILUKAIRNUS

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Jun 9 12:33:09 UTC 2004

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Francisc Czobor" <fericzobor at y...>
wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Ingemar Nordgren" <ingemar at n...>
> wrote:
> > --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "F.E.J.D. IV" <visigoth at a...>
> wrote:
> > > I am wondering if anyone here is aware of or knows something
> about the
> > > word:
> > >
> > > << ASILUKAIRNUS >>.
> > >
> > > I would enjoy to hear what others may know.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > F.E.J.D.
> >
> > Hi Fernando,
> >
> > Gothic 'asilu-qaírnus' is according to Streitberger 'Eselmühle',
> which
> > seems to be a mill driven by a donkey going round in circle. Hence
> > 'asilu´is a donkey and 'qaírnus' is a mill. In Swedish mill is
> called
> > 'kvarn' which definitely seems related to 'qaírnus'but the latter
is
> > equipped with a Latin-influenced ending -us.
> >
> > Best regards
> > Ingemar
>
> Just a little correction: the ending -us it not at all Latin-
> influenced, but it represents in Gothic the normal ending for
> nominative singular for masculine and feminine u-stems, like in
> sunus "son", handus "hand", fotus "foot", *asilus "donkey"
(attested,
> beside the above compound, also as Gen.sg. asilaus and Ac.sg.
asilu),
> aggwus "narrow", aglus "difficult", dauthus "death",
> fairhwus "world", flodus "flood", hardus "hard", hliftus "thief",
> huhrus "hunger", etc. etc. etc.
>
> Francisc

Hi Francisc,

I am interested in the word  "fairhwus" for world. Can you think of
an equivalent in another Germanic language. All the other words are
more or less easily recognisable but "fairhwus" is not, at least not
for me. Could it be a loanword? Old high German has "mittingart" for
world and "aerdha" for lat. terra. Also, "hliftus" for thief does not
remind me of a Germanic equivalent.

Otherwise, old high German equivalents to your Gothic examples:

oHG - Gothic
suno/sune/sun - sunus
harto/hart - hartus
hanto/hant - handus