Query: patterns of consonant cluster reduction

Joseph Salmons jsalmons at wisc.edu
Thu Jul 5 15:35:32 UTC 2007

Dear HistLingers,
Most readers of this list are probably familiar with the notion that
consonant clusters are more vulnerable to reduction or simplification
in final position, less so in medial, especially intervocalic,
position. I don't particularly doubt that it's true, but wonder if
anyone knows of a systematic survey on the question? The sources I
know give some examples but no evidence that bears directly on how
relatively common these two patterns of reduction actually are.

Thanks,
Joe