Alexander Vovin sashavovin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 09:56:16 UTC 2008

Dear all,

       Many thanks for everyone who responded to my query about
pigs/lambs vs. whales/dolphins (in chronological order): Peter Hook,
Chris Cleirigh, Roger Lass, John Charles Smith, Shigeru Tsuchida,
Paolo Ramat, Ivan Iguartua, Christian Kay, Frank Seifert, Mair Parry,
and Vit Bubenik.
      If I may offer a summary,  It looks like that whales, dolphins,
dugongs, porpoises etc. can be named 'pig of the sea', 'water pig,
'pig fish'. 'sea-ox' and sea animal' also do occur, although much more
rare. However, it seems that there are no direct semantic shifts like
'pig'  > 'dolphin', or what is even more important to me 'lamb'  >
'dolphin.'
       For those, who might be interested, the original query was
triggered by the following problem: after my recent talk at the Kyoto
University, where I suggested that Proto-Ryukyuan *peto 'dolphin'
(with seemingly no apparent attestations on the Japanese side of the
Japonic family and as far as I am aware without any possible external
parallels in surrounding language families) should be probably treated
as Proto-Japonic word for 'dolphin' since Old Japanese (OJ) (etc.)
iruka 'dolphin' is rather transparent loan from Ainu, my friend Bjarke
Frellesvig suggested the possibility that *peto might be connected to
OJ pi1tuzi 'lamb' (Modern Japanese hitsuji). Phonetically and
morphologically it is plausible, because Proto-Japonic *e and *o
raised to OJ i and u respectively in most cases, and because there are
dialect data (Yaeyama phitsI, pitsi 'lamb') indicating that -zi is a
suffix. However, semantics seemed somewhat suspicious (although 'pig
of the sea' lurked in my mind), and this basically was confirmed by
problem: Yaeyama forms indicate Proto-Ryukyuan *petu 'lamb', not
*peto. So, the etymology is probably still possible, but,
unfortunately for the possibility to strengthen the status of
Proto-Ryukyuan *peto 'dolphin' at the Proto-Japonic level, it is not
strong at all.
     Thank you all again,

Best wishes,

Sasha

Alexander Vovin
Visiting Professor, International Research Center for Japanese Studies, Kyoto &
Professor of East Asian Languages
University of Hawaii at Manoa