Diachronic behavior of velar nasal consonant

Nigel Vincent nigel.vincent at manchester.ac.uk
Sat Mar 8 23:48:48 UTC 2008

You might also want to look at:
John Hajek, Universals of sound change in nasalization (Publications
of the Philological Society, 31). Oxford & Boston, MA: Blackwell,
1997. Pp. xvi+254.
best
Nigel Vincent

Quoting natacha at ucla.edu:

> Dear Eduardo:
>
> Loren Trigo's dissertation "The phonological bevior and derivation of
> nasal glides" (MIT, 1988) contains much information relevant to the
> diachronic behavior of the velar nasal. The relative strength of nasal
> consonants is discussed at length by Edward Tuttle in "Nasalization in
> Northern Italy: Syllabic constraints and strength scales as
> developmental parameters" (Rivista di Linguistica 3 [1991]: 23-92].
>
> Best regards,
> Natalie Operstein
>
>> Dear hist-linguists,
>>
>> I remember reading somewhere that the velar nasal consonant /ng/ tends to be
>> less stable diachronically than the more common nasals /m/ and /n/, but I
>> can't recall exactly where I found that piece of information.  I would
>> really appreciate any suggestions on where to find information on this
>> topic, as well as any examples illustrating the diachronic behavior of this
>> consonant in specific language families.  [In the Macro-Jê stock, for
>> instance, while reflexes of Proto-Jê *m and *n tend to be preserved as such
>> in most related languages, *ng occurs as /k/ in Central Jê (thus merging
>> with reflexes of Proto-Jê *k), zero in Jabuti, etc.]
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Eduardo

Professor Nigel Vincent, FBA
Associate Vice-President for Graduate Education

Mailing address:     School of Languages, Linguistics & Cultures
                      University of Manchester
                      Manchester M13 9PL
                      United Kingdom

Tel (direct):        +44-(0)-161-275-3194
Fax:                 +44-(0)-161-275-3031