Dolgopolsky's new book

manaster at umich.edu manaster at umich.edu
Fri Apr 3 13:09:35 UTC 1998

The PIE *kat 'wattlework' which Larry says Dolgopolsky has is clearly the
same etymon as Illich-Svitych posited in the form *ket, and
I do not understand how the vowel could be given as PIE *-a-.  This
is in fact supposed to be one of the many cases where Nostratic
*a gives PIE *e (alternating with *o).  However, this is a PIE
etymon which is not traditional with IEnists, and was put
together this way by Illich-Svitych himself, I believe.  This
does not mean that it is wrong, of course, and IS makes it
clear that this is a new proposal.

In general, although etyma that are not widely attested are
quite often posited, I tend to agree with Larry's skepticism,
and as I have argued elsewhere I think that AT BEST a very
small percentage of the etyma posited for Nostratic by IS and
Dolgopolsky will stand the test of time.  Of course,
as it happens *ket is fairly widely attested in IE, and I
tend to think this was one of IS's better ideas.

Alexis MR