Q: Early Modern English (bibliographic suggestions)

Jacob Baltuch jacob.baltuch at euronet.be
Thu Dec 3 14:15:51 UTC 1998

I'm interested in finding some basic references on Early Modern English
(syntax, phonology) that also contain good bibliographical pointers to
the rest of the litterature. I could only find the following titles which
would seem to fit the bill (although since I haven't seen them, I don't
know if they really do).

I'd be interested to know what you think of them and if you can think of
other suggestions (for J.J.Smith's book, which doesn't exist yet, that would
presuppose someone familiar with its content is present on this list)

 Jeremy J. Smith, Essentials of early English, Routledge, (to appear in 1999)

 Manfred Gorlach, Introduction to early modern English, Cambridge UP, 1991
 (a translation of Gorlach's book in German? why is it 100 pages longer?)

 George Stuart Gordon, Shakespeare's English, (publisher?), 1978
 (in fact this seems to be merely a translation of a 1928 work?)

Specifically for phonetics I could only find:

 Inge Kabell (and others), Studies in early modern English pronunciation,
 Atheneum, 1984

 Helge Kokeritz, Shakespeare's pronunciation, Yale UP, 1953

 Wilhelm Vietor, Shakespeare's pronunciation, AMS Press, 1973
 (a translation of a 1906 book it seems)

(and there was also a book by Jespersen whose reference I forgot)

Thanks
Jacob