r and s

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal mcv at wxs.nl
Mon Oct 26 10:53:46 UTC 1998

Ralf-Stefan Georg <Georg at home.ivm.de> wrote:

>And: the rhotacistic process has been called rather exceptional, not very
>wide-spread in this thread. I'm not so sure whether we've already found all
>prominent examples, I think there must be more.

There sure must be, although for some reason I can only come up with
syllable/word final examples.

Armenian: *-is and *-us > -r in certain cases (erkir < *dwis, erir <
*tris, u-stem nouns and adjectives like barjr, asr, t`anjr etc.)

Basque: sl > rl, e.g. irla "island" < Spa. isla; erle "bee" < *ezle,
cf. ezti "honey", ezko "wax". [NB. Basque <z> is (laminal) /s/, not
/z/!; -le is an agentive suffix]

Hausa: the ind. obj. pronoun <ma/sa\> "to him" has a variant ma/\r (<
*mas) [the /, \ and /\ are high, low and falling (high->low) tones].

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
mcv at wxs.nl
Amsterdam