HPSG - basics ??

Nicholas Yates nyates at ulb.ac.be
Fri Oct 26 12:36:48 UTC 2001

Hi Danny,

It seems to me what you are asking is a full detailed account of HPSG
theory. You probably should try to get a good introductory book (Sag and
Wasow, 1999, Syntactic Theory: A formal introduction, CSLI, is a
comprehensive and  very accessible option).
Since you seem to be familiar with ALE, another good (and web-accessible)
way , I believe, to get a precise understanding of the formalism, is to
learn it by working on its computational implementation. Start by reading
the ALE users guide by Carpenter
(http://arena.sci.univr.it/~scollo/ldpIII1999/lab/ale203/guide/guide.html)
and then continue with Colin Matheson's course on HPSG implementation in ALE
(http://arena.sci.univr.it/~scollo/ldpIII1999/lab/ale203/ale-hpsg/index.html
).

All the best,

Nicholas Yates