New technology improves syllabics on the web (fwd)

Keola Donaghy keola at LEOKI.UHH.HAWAII.EDU
Fri Oct 8 22:23:21 UTC 2004

Aloha e Mia. Basically we need a macron over vowels, both upper and lower
case, and the glottal. We started using customized fonts for Hawaiian on
the web since in 1994, a bit of the history is here:

http://www.olelo.hawaii.edu/eng/resources/fonts.html

Later we tried Bitstream's and Microsoft's dowloadable fonts,
Fairy/Glyphgate, and now just use Unicode. This page shows (in Unicode
compliant browsers) the characters we require and their locations:

http://www.olelo.hawaii.edu/eng/resources/unicode.html

Keola

Indigenous Languages and Technology <ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU> writes:
>I don't know too much about Hawai'ian, except that its so beautiful.
>
>Can you give us a quick overview of how many letters are different and how
>different the glyphs are? For Apache, we have the en-yay (n with a tilde
>over it) and the voiceless l, both of which are available in UTF-8 and
>Unicode. But we also have upper-lower case vowels with both the acute
>accent
>and the cedilla, indicating nasalized, rising tone. The Unicode people
>have
>said that we can use the new script to build these characters on the fly,
>but the new script requires newer operating system capabilities, and has
>the
>usual platform problems.
>
>There's some Apache on the menus at
>http://learningforpeople.us/MALibrary/index.htm. There aren't any of these
>double characters, but you can see both the acute and the cedilla on the
>vowels.

Keola Donaghy
Assistant Professor of Hawaiian Studies
Ka Haka 'Ula O Ke'elikolani             keola at leoki.uhh.hawaii.edu